Hydraulic buffers

Buffers are there to stop locos and rolling stock coming off the end of the track. Hydraulic buffers give a degree of extra protection by absorbing some of the energy of the collision.



They are fairly rare, but I came across a pair on Crewe station on the bay platforms on the north side.



I do not know how hydraulic buffers work, but I guess...

The red cylinders are hydraulic pistons full of oil. On impact, slides into the piston, forcing the oil into the reservoir - the blue tank - via an orifice. The orifice restricts the flow, arresting the speed of the impact.

How effective they are I do not know. Hard to see how a 100 te train travelling at 40 mph is going to be stopped.

As far as I can tell, there is no hydraulic buffer available in N gauge.


I did a single buffer, then mirrored it in ChiTuBox. If I print out more, I would do the buffers and sliders separate so they can be readily replaced if the snap.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various tank wagons

Introduction to the Blog

Safety First!