UKF PWA wagons

Just realised I have nothing about these wagons. The reason being they are older than my printer - they were printed out by a friend back in February 2022, a year before I got my own printer and started this blog. 



Prototype

The prototype wagons were built in 1968 with curtain sides, but there were issues with pallets moving during transport and sticking out the side, and they were rebuilt in 1970-71 with solid sides. They were used to transport fertiliser from UKF's factory in Ince in Cheshire all around the country, until 1993.

They were originally built for Shellstar Fertilisers, a subsidiary of Shell, but are best known for the UKF brand. UKF stands for "Unie van Kunstmest Fabrieken", Dutch for Union of Fertiliser Factories (and not United Kingdom Fertilisers!). Later they became Kemira Fertilisers, but that was after the era I am interested in.

There were a few variations in liveries in the UKF era, some including the Shellstar logo along side the UKF logo. Curiously some had the Royal Bank of Scotland logo on them; I have not been able to find any clue why.

Plenty of images on this site. Photo here seems to show at least one had a flat roof, but I only came across that later.

Model

The model is sat on a Dapol siphon van chassis that just happens to be the right length.

The decals on the prototype go behind the rods securing the doors, so I decided to add the rods after the transfers. The rods are not 3d printed, just plastic bristles from a brush.


I had six printed, and gave three the "standard" logos, and the other three variations on that - including the Royal Bank of Scotland version.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various tank wagons

Introduction to the Blog

Preston City Mission