My first post was back in February - before I had even purchased a 3d printer, and it is now November and I am writing the introduction... This blog is all about my experiences for 3d printing. It is a way for me to share what I learn along the way, and to show off what I have created. Most pages are tagged Model and are about a specific model, and the prototype it is based on. Generally I try to visit the prototype, and include a couple of photos of that for comparison. I also try to learn the history of the building, which is not always easy, and record that on the page too. A lot are buildings in and around Preston, as that is where I live. Models are further divided into Building , Railway (i.e., railway-related buildings), Feature (bridges, tunnel portals, etc.), Rolling Stock , Vehicle and Clutter (smaller items) In addition, there are pages tagged How to and Prototype . If you want to know how to use Blender to make 3d models, there is an article I wrote on another s...
This is an issue I hit whilst revising Lund Church. A model is made up of polygons, and each polygon has a front and a back. In Blender it is not obvious which is which, though Blender does track it. And occasionally it gets it wrong, and a section of mesh is, in effect, inside-out. When you try to print out, there is just a hole there. In the image below you can see some of the stones to the left of the windows are not just missing but also caused holes in the superstructure. Microsoft 3D Builder does not spot it, all looks good in there. But Chitubox does. It will not actually say anything or stop you producing a bad file, but it does highlight bad bits in your model. In the image below, all that roof is wrong, the right side of the arches, a part of the cross at the end of the roof, and some stones in the tower. All are shown in a much darker colour. So what are normals? Behind the scenes Blender creates a vector (essentially a line) that starts from the centre of the polygon and ex...
Blender 5 came out about a week ago, and the noticeable difference for what I do is with the Array modifier. I think it is a big improvement, but there is still an "Array (Legacy)" option if you want to stick with the old (and when opening files made in earlier versions, they will still use the legacy version). The new version has more options, and options that were previously available, but hard to find or do have become much more accessible. For example, you can rotate and scale now. And to support this, the UI has handles on your object. So in this simple example, the basic cube is on the left, and the two generated by the modifier are centre and right. The first copy, in the centre, has handles you can use to move, rotate and scale that instance, and that gets applied to the modifier. The old version has a tickbox so you could turn off relative offset and turn on absolute offset. They have realised no one does both in the same modifier, so now we have radio buttons for th...
Comments
Post a Comment