Lund Parish Church

 I have wanted to do a church for a while, but wanted to start small...



The prototype is near where I work, but a good ten to fifteen minutes walk from the nearest village; it really is in the middle of nowhere. The turret on the tower is a nice feature that makes it distinctive. The main church was built around 1825, but the tower was about fifty years later, and the stone is noticeable different.


The church web site states the tower in 60' high, which was useful. Other dimension from Google maps. I was surprised at how big it turned out to be, but have checked and it is right. A small church in N gauge really is about 18 cm (7") long. Both Metcalfe and Scalescenes churches are similar. Even small churches are big!

Church windows are very difficult in Blender. I used the Boolean modifier to cut holes, but the calculations seems to fail in some situations, and the hole comes and goes, so the geometry is partly dictated by what Blender could cope with.

I also had issues with bad normals when I came to redo the windows, as described elsewhere.

When I first did the model, I had no idea what the back looks like. Google maps indicates a gable on the side, but I could find no images to indicate the arrangement of windows. I got in contact with the church warden, who was kind enough to respond, and I subsequently took several pictures, including of the inside, which seems very typical of small churches of that era (to my uneducated eye!).


The font is pagan, apparently, depicting three Roman gods on the front. A Roman Road passed just north of the church, from Ribchester to a fort at Kirkham. It was known as Watling Street, one of a few roads of that name, and probably the least significant.


This image shows an interesting corner infill that I missed in my first draft!


And side windows in the porch, which failed to make it to the final version. There is also an entrance at the back of the tower that I am guessing was a later addition, and therefore I omitted.


The side gable - which proved difficult to get a photo of even when I was there.


And the model of the back.


The lychgate, which I might do as well at some point. It looks more modern to me.


The First Draft

This was the first draft. You can see the basic shape was right...


However, the window surrounds were wrong, the buttresses were wrong, the crosses on the gables, I missed the small windows half way up the tower.

The roof is perfectly straight on this version too. I am not sure it does actually dip in the middle, but it looks much better with it.

The colouring was not great either...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various tank wagons

Introduction to the Blog

Preston City Mission