List of Items Required When 3d Printing

This is based on my experiences with the Elegoo Saturn 8k.

I recommend you have:

Resin: None is included so obviously required. I found I got through the first 1 kg pretty fast, but it slowed down once I knew what I was doing.

iso-Propyl alcohol (IPA): For washing. Again, I got though 1 kg pretty fast, but the next 5 kg lasted well over a year. Leave to stand, and the resin will settle out. Decant off 90% of the IPA into one container, and the rest - which will have some resin it it still - into another container for further settling out.

Mesh filter papers: Included with the Elegoo printer, and it comes with a good amount of them. Used to filter the resin which is required whenever something fails to print.

Filter funnel: The printer came with mesh filter papers, but you do need a funnel. I would suggest a 12 to 15 cm diameter plastic funnel.

Gloves: The printer came with disposable gloves. You need to get nitrile gloves or the equivalent; latex gloves and normal washing up gloves are permeable to the resin to some degree.

Kitchen roll

Containers: (1) I use one for washing items in, basically just a Tupperware tub with good sealing lid, big enough for any model you make to be submerged. (2) A pot to filter resin into (you could recycle a plastic bottle, though that is not good practice). After you empty your first resin bottle, use that, as it will be UV opaque. Label it. (3) Also something with a wide top, about six inches across. When a build is done, take the build plate off, and put it vertically in this to catch the drips while you get the items off.

UV curing station: You can leave items in the sun to cure, but I live in Preston, and we do not see it that much.

Tweezers: I suggest you have a pair you keep just for handling pre-washed items, as they will get sticky.

Plastic scrapper: Included with the Elegoo printer. For getting stuff off the base of the tank. The film is (I guess) susceptible to scratching and I would keep metal well away from it.

Metal scrapper: Included with the Elegoo printer. For getting items off the built plate.

Plastic snips: I like the "Citadel Fine Detail Cutters" as they cut right up to the model; other brands are available and I guess just as good.

Long-bladed knife: Also for getting parts of the raft, but in this case for when the supports are well buried underneath it.

Paint: Primer and colours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various tank wagons

Introduction to the Blog

Preston City Mission